Budding food blogger with lotsa pics and too little posts,watch out for this space!

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Organic Rosehip from Fremantle Market

I came across this in Fremantle Market with Mel and we asked the lady what it was about she told us that it was good and described the origin of it, I could not understand what she meant by the seed pods of roses (I thought it has some thing to do with pollens), and she convinced me by eating it in front of me, I was sold. I bought it and started my little research.


Carrying dark deep red like the colour of cranberries can be even mistaken for cranberries from afar.Rose hips are the berry-like fruits of the rose bush left behind after the bloom has died.

Organic Rosehip Tea

Organic Rosehip Tea




Rose hip is rich in Vitamin C
During World War II when imports of citrus products to Great Britain were limited, tons of rose hips were harvested there from the wild to make rose hip syrup as a vitamin C supplement for children. Or even for chinchilla and guinea pigs which can not disgest many food rich in vitamin C.It is excellent for me as I have a slight allegry to orange which is a common source of Vitamin C.Some horses eat rose hip too!

Rose hip is good for osteoarthrities
The anti-inflammatory properties of rose hips have recently been shown to be useful in the treatment of patients suffering from knee or hip osteoarthritis.


Organic Rosehip Tea

After 'soaking ' it in hot water for 20 mins
Organic Rosehip Tea



Rosehips are also commonly used to make herbal teas, by boiling the dried or crushed rose hips for10 minutes. They are edible as no filter is needed. Becareful as the taste could be acidic. Rose hips can be used to make great jellies, sauces, soups ,seasoning and salad toppings

Caution: Don’t use rose hips from plants that have been treated with a pesticide that is not labeled for use on edibles.Use organic rosehip

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known." - Chuck Palahniuk (Invisible Monsters)

Total Pageviews